While we were staying in Crete for a couple of weeks, we decided to do a day trip to Chrissi Island. We were after turquoise water and sandy beaches and Chrissi Island ticked these boxes after being recommended to us by local friends, so we decided to have a little adventure.
WHERE IS CHRISSI ISLAND?
Chrissi Island is an uninhabited Greek island approximately 15 kilometres south of Crete close to Ierapetra in the South Cretan Sea.
We drove to Ierapetra as we have rented a car and it seems the most suited idea for us but we could also have taken a boat or bus from Heraklion to Ierapetra.
We woke up very early about 6 am in the morning to arrive on time at Ierapetra. It took us about 2.5 hrs to get there.
HOW TO GET TO CHRISSI ISLAND?
The only way to get to Chrissi Island is by boat. You need to take the boat from the Ierapetra port to Chrissi Island. The boat terminal is next to the police station.
There are several times that you can get the boat. They usually depart from Ierapetra in the morning from 10:00 to 12:30 pm. You need to be there 40 minutes before departure. The trip takes about 45-55 minutes to arrive on the island.
The boat tickets cost about €20.00-€25.00 per person and you will be required to pay a visitor’s tax of €1.00 on the boat, this is not included in the ticket.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON BOARD OF THE BOAT TO CHRISSI ISLAND?
The boat plays soft music in the background and sails in the emerald waters of the Libyan Sea where you can see seagulls around and if you are lucky some dolphins too.
The boat has a restaurant – bar that is open during your journey, so you can eat something while you are travelling. They have snacks, coffee, soft drinks, ice creams, salads, meals to choose from, etc. Or you can order a packed meal to eat on the island.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VISITING CHRISSI ISLAND
- There are no proper shops on the island so you have to bring everything you need like food and umbrellas. The day that we went, they had a small kiosk where you could buy some water only.
- I would recommend bringing a stainless steel bottle of water filled with ice and water so you can keep yourself hydrated.
- You can rent a sun umbrella from the boat at a daily fee of €4.00 which I can highly recommend if you don’t own one or have forgotten to bring one. It is definitely needed. However, they also have beautiful trees on the beach that offer good shade too.
- It is very important to bring a hat, sunscreen, and comfortable shoes as the temperatures can be very high. We had almost 40 degrees that day so we really felt it.
- They have portable toilets if needed
- Take all your rubbish with you
- There is a small area on your pathway to the beach where they have some souvenirs
ARRIVING AT CHRISSI ISLAND
A path that takes you to the nearest beach
When we arrived, we saw a path that goes through a cedar forest and ends up on a beautiful beach with rocks. The walk is about 10 minutes but it was so hot that perhaps it felt like a little bit longer.
The colours of the rocks, which are mainly grey-green, reddish-brown, black, etc., are spectacular, while almost the entire island is covered by golden sand.
The water is crystal clear, so beautiful. It is perfect for snorkelling. Nick brought a full face mask and really enjoyed swimming with it for a while. The girls loved being in the water for hours too.
CAN YOU STAY ON CHRISSI ISLAND?
There is no accommodation on Chrissi Island because it is a natural uninhabited island. The closest accommodation would be in Ierapetra.
AT WHAT TIME DO THE BOATS DEPART FROM CHRISSI ISLAND?
The boats going back to Ierapetra usually depart Chrissi Island at 16.30 or 17.30 with a journey time of just under 1 hour.
THINGS TO DO AT CHRISSI ISLAND
- Make a splash into the turquoise-blue sea
- Stick your head below the water to watch the fish swim by
Take a Walk
HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU STAY AT CHRISSI ISLAND?
We stayed there for about 4 hrs which in my opinion is enough time to visit the island as it gets very hot. After 4 hours, we were definitely ready to come back.
OUR THOUGHTS ABOUT CHRISSI ISLAND
Chrissi Island is a small island with gorgeous beaches. You can find nature with turquoise colours on a sandy beach. It is beautiful.
The feeling of swimming in these waters is incredible! If you can do some snorkelling, you will love it!
Visiting Chrissi Island for us was a unique experience and we really enjoyed it. Check out our Instagram “Crete 21” Highlight where we have shared some videos and photos of our day at Chrissi Island.
If you like this post, you might also like my post “7 Things To Do In Symi, Greece” for more travel inspiration.
Have you been to Chrissi Island? If so, do you have more tips to share with us?
Thanks for stopping by,
Love you all ❤️
[do_widget id=”text-12″ title=false]
[do_widget id=”text-11″ title=false]
Linking up with: