We’re having a heatwave! Apparently, June and July are set to be very hot here in the UK! This is actually lovely as we don’t tend to get this type of weather very often so we are embracing it, however, because this is not something we are very used to in this country, it is important to take some precautions. I have been approached by Doidy Cup to share with you some valuable advice in regards to this heatwave as they have been working with the renowned nutritionist, Charlotte Stirling Reed of The Little Food company on the best advice for parents of weaning-age babies during a heatwave. They are also kindly offering a lovely GIVEAWAY for one of my lovely readers to win a cute Cath Kidston Bib and a Doidy Cup in sparkly purple to the main winner and 4 Doidy Cups in sparkly purple for the runners-up! Full details of the giveaway can be found at the bottom of this post.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT DOIDY CUP
We love Doidy Cups. Both of my girls used them and it was a fantastic help! For those of you that have not heard of or tried a Doidy Cup, they are recommended for children aged 3 months and up. At first, the parent may need to hold the bottom of the cup whilst gently putting the rim on the infant’s lower lip to allow them to take what they want. As the baby grows, they will want to hold the handles and feed themselves.
Sienna using her Doidy Cup when she was 1 year old
They are available in 17 bright colours (including solid, pearlised and sparkle finishes!), with a 200ml capacity. It is hygienic, sterilizer-safe, dishwasher-proof and freezer-proof. Doidy Cups are manufactured in the UK from virgin food-safe HDPE and they do not contain Bisphenol, Phthalates or PVC.
The Doidy Cup has a recommended retail price of £3.80 and in the UK is available from Asda, Dunelm, John Lewis, JoJoMamanBebe, Kiddicare, Ocado and Sainsbury’s as well as online from Amazon.
SUMMER IS THE IDEAL TIME TO WEAN BABY WITH AN OPEN CUP!
Scorching weather is due towards the end of June and as many of us get out and about with our babies this summer enjoying camping, time in the park or even family festival trips, now is one of the best times to think about getting your baby used to the idea of drinking from an open cup. The Doidy Cup, with its small handles, has been scientifically designed with a unique slant that allows a young child to see the level of the liquid in the cup as they tilt to drink. This slant helps to minimise possible spills – but since you are sitting on the grass enjoying the sunshine, any initial spills that might occur at the start… simply won’t matter!
Claire Burgess, Head of Research, Consultancy and Training at Norland College comments “In line with the NHS, we recommend using an open cup from around 6 months of age for drinks. This can help your baby learn to drink naturally and aids the transition from bottle to cup. The use of a bottle can be discontinued as soon as possible and by 1 year old, your child will love learning to feed themselves.”
With a heatwave due, parents should stay extra vigilant about their baby’s hydration levels. Charlotte Stirling-Reed, Child Nutritionist and founder of Little Foodie recommends “The best way to ensure your baby is hydrated is to check they are producing plenty of wet nappies. If your baby reduces the number of wet nappies, has particularly strong urine or seems very tired and lethargic, it may be worthwhile ensuring they are getting plenty of fluid from their usual milk or additional water.”
Charlotte Stirling Reed continues “Many parents are unsure about when, how and how much water to offer young babies, especially once they begin the move to solid foods. Generally, babies don’t need any water before they begin solids foods at around 6 months of age. Before this time most of the fluid that a baby will get will be in the form of breast or formula milk. However, as breast milk adapts to your baby’s daily needs and formula doesn’t, formula-fed babies may need a little extra water in very hot weather.”
Charlotte Stirling Reed’s Top Tips
- Breastfed babies aren’t likely to need water much before 6 months of age. Formula fed babies may need a little extra fluid in very warm weather
- Boil then cool tap water before offering it to babies under 6 months (not necessary post 6 months of age)
- Offer a little water at mealtimes during the introduction of solids to help baby get used to drinking from an open cup
- Make sure all drinks are offered from an open or free-flowing cup by around 12 months of age
- Check your baby is producing plenty of wet nappies to make sure they are staying hydrated and visit your GP if you have any concerns.
Now onto the giveaway. I am running a giveaway so that one of you can Win A Cath Kidston Bib worth £10 + a Doidy Cup in sparkly purple for the main winner and 4 Doidy Cups in sparkly purple for the runner-ups! So 5 winners in total! In order to have a chance of winning, you just need to enter the giveaway below. Good luck!
*Terms & Conditions:
- Open to UK & Ireland residents only.
- UK entrants over the age of 18 only.
- You can Win A Cath Kidston Bib + Doidy Cup (sparkly purple) for Main Winner and 4 Doidy Cups (sparkly purple) for the runner-ups!
- Five winners will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winners will be contacted by e-mail within 14 days of when the competition ends. If they do not respond within 10 days once notification is sent, another winner may be chosen.
- All times are GMT.
- There is no cash alternative.
- This set will be provided by Doidy Cup
- The prize will be delivered to the winner within 28 days of confirmation of delivery address
- Incomplete or duplicate entries will be deleted.
- Entrants must leave a means of contact: either twitter handle or email address.
- By entering the prize draw, entrants are sending their personal information to Doidy Cup who will at all times process an entrant’s personal data in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998, The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and applicable laws.
- By entering this giveaway participants are confirming that they have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- This Giveaway starts on Wednesday 27th July 2018 at midnight.
- This Giveaway closes on Wednesday 18th July 2018 at midnight.
Have you already tried a Doidy Cup? If so, what do you think of it? If not, would you give it a go? What do you think of the advice about weaning a baby with an open cup during this heatwave?
*Disclosure: We were approached by Doidy Cup to share this information with you to help during a heatwave as well as providing the prizes for this lovely Giveaway. Contains an Amazon affiliate link.
Have a look at all my other GIVEAWAYS
Thanks for stopping by,
Love you all ❤️
Linking up with: