How sustainable are your periods? I have tried out different period wear to help reduce the number of sanitary products I have to buy. In the past, I have never thought about how many waste periods can produce. Did you know that one disposable sanitary towel can take up to 800 years to degrade? Just one! That is bad for our environment, and being more sustainable when it comes to period wear is such a good idea.
I was recently sent a box of sustainable goodies from Wear ‘Em Out to try out more sustainable period wear. Before I get into more details about them, I also wanted to say that I am hosting a GIVEAWAY with Wear ‘Em Out, so ONE of my lovely readers can Win A Wear ‘Em Out Reusable Period Pads Heavier Trial Pack. So please check the details about this giveaway at the bottom of the post.
I think there is a lot of education needed regarding sustainable periods and as adults, the more we know about how to make better choices for our periods each month, the more we can educate others, especially our children.
As a mum to two daughters, I want my girls to know what is out there and available for them to use. So being open and honest regarding periods and what products they can use will help them discover more about making the right choices for their bodies and the environment.
Sustainable Period Wear
I had some great goodies in my Wear ‘Em Out box, but I was keen to try out the period pads first. There are different pads for different flow types in various sizes. The pads are made from:
- Printed layer – 100% Breathable Polyester
- Internal layers – 70% Polyester, 30% Polyamide
- Top layer – 50% Modal 50% Polyester
- Ribbing – 98% Organic combed Cotton, 2% Lycra
Depending on your flow, the size of the pads ranges from 2.45 inches by 6.8 inches up to 2.95 inches by 11.4 inches.
In my box was 2 mini pads, 2 medium pads and 2 mega pads for different days in periods and flow strengths.
I was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable they were. You simply attach the pads to your underwear as you would with a disposable pad and fix the popper to keep the pad in place. I was a little bit worried the poppers wouldn’t hold, but I didn’t need to be worried; it was very safe and secure.
Another issue I was concerned about is that the pads could smell and have an unpleasant odour to them once they collect period blood. But again, there was no odour, more importantly, no leakage, and they were super comfortable.
Out & About Bag
When it comes to changing the pads, they have a handy bag that allows you to store both clean and used pads safely when you are out and about. It has 2 sections (wear me and wash me later) which I think it is a brilliant idea so I can keep everything tidy when I am out.
If you are concerned with cleaning them, all you need to do is rinse them when you change them over until the blood runs clear using cold water. Then they can be washed with your usual loads at 40°, but without fabric conditioner, so no worries about there being blood in your machine; you can still wash them separately if you wish, though.
My Sustainable Goodies From Wear ‘Em Out
Inside the Wear ‘Em Out box, I also received the following goodies:
- Wear ‘Em Out Candle (Aroma & Co)
- Luisa’s Colombian Chocolate Bar
- Keyring that says “The Emotional Rollercoaster – Multiple Rides – Admit One”
I was so excited about the goodies. They were lovely. The candle smells amazing and I love the wordings on the keyring. I am now using it for my car key. And the Colombian chocolate was so yummy!
I will definitely be discussing with my family and friends how to make the change to sustainable period wear and my experiences using reusable pads.
Now onto the giveaway. I am running a giveaway so that ONE of you can Win A Wear ‘Em Out Reusable Period Pads Heavier Trial Pack.
In order to have a chance of winning, you just need to enter the giveaway below. Good luck!
*Terms & Conditions:
- Open to UK & Ireland residents only.
- UK entrants over the age of 18 only.
- You can Win A Wear ‘Em Out Reusable Period Pads Heavier Trial Pack.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 7 days of when the competition ends. If they do not respond within 10 days once a notification is sent, another winner may be chosen.
- All times are GMT.
- There is no cash alternative.
- This set will be provided by Wear ‘Em Out
- Please allow 14 days for delivery.
- Incomplete or duplicate entries will be deleted
- Entrants must leave a means of contact: either Twitter handle or email address.
- By entering the prize draw, entrants are sending their personal information to Wear Em Out who will at all times process an entrant’s personal data in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998, The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as other applicable laws.
- This Giveaway starts on Saturday 27th November 2021 at midnight.
- This Giveaway closes on Saturday 11th December 2021 at midnight.
What do you think? Will you be making the change, or do you use other types of sustainable period wear?
*Disclosure: I received a lovely box of goodies from Wear ‘Em Out for the purpose of this blog post. I also got the opportunity to give away a Wear ‘Em Out Heavier Trial Pack.
Have a look at all my other GIVEAWAYS
Thanks for stopping by,
Love you all ❤️
Linking up with: