Not long ago we received a Plane Launcher Kit from Build Your Own which was so much fun. Sienna loved playing with it. We have now received another product from the same eco-friendly range to review. It is the Build Your Own Microscope kit. This kit is also aimed to 8+ years old but again Sienna was very keen to get involved so we let her. Like before, we supervised it as there were certain parts that needed help from us.
Ad Gifted: We received a Build Your Own Microscope kit for the purpose of this review
I have great news, we are also hosting a GIVEAWAY so one of my lovely readers can Win A Build Your Own Microscope Kit. So please check the details about this giveaway at the bottom of the post.
Build Your Own Microscope Kit Content
Inside the box you can see the following items:
- 54 press-out cardboard parts
- 1 x mylar mirror
- 2 x high-quality acrylic lenses
- 3 x specimen trays
Building Our Build Your Own Microscope Kit
As well as the other Build Your Own kits, the Build Your Own Microscope kit is very easy to assemble. Everything you need is provided in the kit.
The instructions provided are straightforward to follow as each part is coded with a letter. You just have to get the parts from the press-out cardboard and slot them together. You don’t need any glue, so as you can see is a complete mess-free.
Sienna really enjoyed pressing out all the pieces and passing them to daddy to help her put them together.
Then they added the lenses and mirror to build the fully functioning microscope.
Build Your Own Microscope Kit Features
- Incredible 30x magnification
- Focusing dial
- Built-in periscope
- Removable magnifier for on-the-go exploring
One of the features that Sienna love to do with her Build Your Own Microscope Kit is adjusting the focusing dials, so she can get a fantastically clear image and adjust the zoom to reduce or increase the details of the specimens she is examining.
It is great for examining garden minibeasts, leaves, feathers and more. Thanks to the 30x magnification, you can have an amazing view of the specimens.
She also had a lot of fun experimenting with the light source from a smartphone as it illuminated the object through the built-in periscope. Sienna thought this was super cool.
You also have 3 different trays to choose for you to use to hold different types of specimens on the microscope table. Sienna loves this feature as she used different things in each tray to observe.
And the coolest feature was the option to run free. You can remove the microscope lens tubes and place them in the detachable, handheld adaptor for on-the-go exploring. Sienna is a free spirit so this was extremely fun for her to do.
Price & Where To Buy
The Build Your Own Microscope has an RRP of £16.99 and you can buy it from their website or Amazon.
As I mentioned above the Build Your Own Microscope is suitable for kids age 8 and over. Within their new range, you can also get a Plane Launcher and a Telescope kit.
We are again very impressed with Build Your Own range. The microscope works very well. It is the perfect family time activity, especially now that we are in the middle of this lockdown, it is a great activity to do with our kids.
We love that is made using sustainable cardboards and minimal plastics. There is no need to use glue, so it is mess free and no fuss. Everything you need is provided in the box and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. They come with sturdy press-out cardboard that pops out easily and the lenses and mirror are of great quality. Definitely a toy that will last for years to come.
I love the idea of supporting a product designed in the UK by a company that is environmentally responsible. It is fun, educational and supports STEAM. So what more can we ask, right?
We can highly recommend this kit. It is a perfect gift that will motivate your kids to explore more of their surroundings.
Now onto the giveaway. I am running a giveaway so that one of you can Win A Build Your Own Microscope Kit. In order to have a chance of winning, you just need to enter the giveaway below. Good luck!
*Terms & Conditions:
- Open to UK & Ireland residents only.
- UK entrants over the age of 18 only.
- You can Win A Build Your Own Microscope Kit.
- ONE winner will be chosen via Gleam and announced on this page.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail within 7 days of when the competition ends. If they do not respond within 10 days once a notification is sent, another winner may be chosen.
- All times are GMT.
- There is no cash alternative.
- This suitcase will be provided by Build Your Own.
- Please allow 14 days for delivery.
- Incomplete or duplicate entries will be deleted.
- Entrants must leave a means of contact: either Twitter handle or email address.
- By entering the prize draw, entrants are sending their personal information to Rock Luggage who will at all times process an entrant’s personal data in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998, The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as other applicable laws.
- This Giveaway starts on Saturday 13th February 2021 at midnight.
- This Giveaway closes on Saturday 6th March 2021 at midnight.
Do your kids also love microscopes? What do you think of this kit?
*Disclosure: We received a Build Your Own Microscope kit for the purpose of this review. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I was also offered the opportunity to giveaway another Build Your Own Microscope kit to one of my readers. Contain an affiliate link (Should you purchase anything via my links, I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you).
Have a look at all my other GIVEAWAYS
Thanks for stopping by,
Love you all ❤️
Linking up with: