It is clearly very difficult to keep focus and start getting fit after an indulgent December and depressing January. Honestly, I always start January saying that I want to start getting fit by exercising more after eating all the yummy food in December. Then, when January starts, the weather is always so miserable, dark and wet that I really don’t feel like doing it at all!
Then February arrives and you start thinking that the winter is finally starting to go away, despite the super low temperatures that we have been having lately, you just think that next month is March (it’s nearly upon us already!) and for some reason your spirits lift because you know Spring is coming meaning that its then Summer and you, of course, want to be fit for that.
So this is the exact time that I really want to do something to get back to being fit, exercising more and eating healthier. I have an exciting trip coming up where I will be meeting a group of my school friends in Puerto Vallarta. Yes, beach and sun you are hearing, so I can’t wait for that!
This has been my motivation to also try to be fit as I don’t want to arrive looking 10 kilos bigger and then my friends not recognising me anymore, LOL! So I have been trying to cut bad habits and getting myself back on track. I always feel that I leave everything to the last minute but I cannot change that now. I should have started this on the first day of January but, of course here I am doing this now, in the month when I have this trip.
I am not the biggest exercise person at the moment but I do believe you need to at least try, right? I used to be that crazy fitness person back in my 20’s. OMG, I could do 2 consecutive hours of spinning classes and then do some weights before I went to work. Can you believe it? So I would wake up at ridiculous hours in order to achieve that! Now I think about it, it was probably a bit exaggerated. I remember feeling knackered but I was super fit though.
Now, I am not able to do this anymore. I don’t think I have the determination or the time. But I do enjoy doing certain activities that at the end of the day will help me to get fit. I am not registered at a gym currently as I know, from previous years, that I might fail to go so instead of wasting my money, I am trying to find other resources to keep me fit for free. See below what I like doing:
1. Speed walking. I love walking in my local park. This is how I got fit the year before I was pregnant with my second daughter. I love doing 4 laps around the park. I don’t run. It is not for me but walking fast seems to work very well. I love listening to music while I walk as well as getting my mind away from work.
2. Dancing. I love dancing. I am latin, so you cannot see me without moving all the time. It is in my vanes, LOL! My girls love latin music too and we love dancing together. You are not going to believe how good it is to do this! I can highly recommend it.
3. Fitness DVD. Follow some exercise routines from fitness DVDs or you can do this straight from the internet really. There are lots to choose from.
4. Use 2 bottles of 125 cl. Fill each bottle with water and use them as weights. These are perfect for your arms. So when you are doing your exercise routines you can add this extra weight and it will help you to build some muscle.
5. Use the stairs. It is so tempting to use the lift. I live in a second-floor apartment but still a lot of times I use the lift! I know, how bad is that? So I have promised myself that from now on, I will only be using the stairs. Well, unless I have heavy bags with me.
THE POWER OF RECOVERY
As well as getting fit, it is important to think about the power of recovery. How to get our bodies back from a hard fitness routine. It is really vital that you take good care of yourself and your body.
After exercising, I like to do things that will get my body restored. Get it relaxed and ready for the next fitness regime the following day. See below some ideas that I like doing:
1. Stretch and relax. Always after doing any kind of exercise, it is so important to cool down and stretch all of your body. You need to relax after that so then you get your body back to the state it was before you started the fitness routine.
2. Sleep. One of the things that you always get recommended is to have a good sleep. Try to go to bed at reasonable hours so you get your body restored and ready for a new day. Choosing the correct mattress for this is very important too so you can get a good sleep waking up with no pain. A good example of a good mattress that will help you to achieve this goal of getting a good sleep is Tempur. They provide support for those recovering from workouts as the material offers optimum comfort for recovery.
3. Massage. A good massage is, of course, something that will help you to recover. There is nothing more amazing in the whole world than a good massage! OMG, I love them! They can get you so relaxed and composed. It restores your body back to its best and helps it to get ready for the next day. Your body will stop aching after a good massage and all your bones and muscles will feel like new afterwards.
4. Drink plenty of water. You need to drink a lot of water every day to keep your body hydrated. The water will keep your digestive system running as well as your skin soft and supple. Being dehydrated makes you feel fatigued, which will make you less likely to be active. I try to drink two 8-ounce glasses of water before each meal. It is so good for you.
5. Active Recovery. It is also important to get some rest days which will give your muscles a hard-earned break from a hard fitness routine. This will help to rest your body and therefore get fully recovered. I tried to exercise during the week and rest during the weekend.
Are you also planning to get fit this year? What are your plans for achieving that? What would you do to recover from exercise? I hope this blog post was helpful for you.
*Disclosure: This is a collaboration with Tempur. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks for stopping by,
Love you all ❤️
Linking up with: